Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bodies and Books
I finished this sketchbook that I started yesterday. It's about 5"x9"

I also had my weekly meeting with our chief critic, Nick, and he has encouraged me to explore the broken mirror sitting in our studio. I was planning on self portraits. My recent drawings have been very fragmented, just like that mirror, and I plan on translating these drawings into mosaics eventually. It's all working out quite nicely, although I got lost trying to find a mosaic factory he told me about. He also encouraged me to explore different materials for making mosaics. Lastly, he suggested some interesting drawing exercises involving my portraits. 

There was also a dead body floating in the Tiber River today, literally right in front of our dorm. I got word of it right before my meeting with Nick, so I had to persuade him to come see the cadaver tumbling around in the undercurrent before we could get started on critique. It was surprisingly easy. There were people surrounding all sides of the river. A lady even asked me, "Cosa e successo?" I was able to respond, "C'e un corpo." She ran away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment